Friday, September 3, 2010

2 September 2010

After packing peaches all day for the market tomorrow (during which I’ll be packing yet more peaches for the market on Saturday), I worked the market this afternoon in Brooklin alone. I must say, I quite enjoyed it and spent the majority of the time talking with Bob, Courtney, and Scott—fellow farmers. The entire atmosphere felt much more relaxed.

I bought tomatoes from Courtney today. He gave me two yesterday when I mentioned how much I loved them, so I got a pound from him today. They’re really some of the best tomatoes I’ve had in a long time, but Tim didn’t approve of me purchasing them from Courtney, because he isn’t strictly organic. Tim went on and on about how Courtney grew them in a greenhouse (God forbid!) and sprayed them for bugs (the horror, the horror), etc. Finally, I interrupted his tirade and informed him that I didn’t really care. You will. You’ll regret it one day, he barked. No, I said, after mulling over it for a moment. No, I really won’t. I can think of a lot more things to regret in life than the consumption of a great tomato, organic or otherwise. He wasn’t really sure what to say to that.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, it's a wonder how we have all survived this long eating what we did 30 years ago! Let me guess, he is probably a PETA supporter, as well?? Sometimes people get so caught up in a cause, it border on being cult like!

    ReplyDelete