Sunday, August 22, 2010

21 August 2010

Morning came early today since we had a market day in Blue Hill that started at nine o’clock. Leslie and I are pretty laid-back about selling peaches, but Tim is more hard-core about it, so it’s always a bit more stressful—or at least a tad less enjoyable—when all three of us go. The market lasted for two and a half hours today: an hour and a half too long, in my opinion. There is a guy, though, whom I’ve noticed comes to the Friday and Saturday markets. He’s my age, I think, French, and maybe another apprentice. I’ve decided to befriend him, since I have no friends here, but when I attempted to strike up a conversation with him today, I lost my nerve. That crippling noose of shyness that seizes and grips my lungs and throat is something I detest, but it is something I’ve not yet been able to overcome. And I don’t think I ever will.

The pair of blue jeans I’ve been wearing for the last two weeks could probably stand up in a corner by themselves, so I decided to do laundry today. When I asked Leslie if I could use her washing machine, though—which, when we first spoke over the phone, she assured me I would have access to it—she hedged and said that there was a Laundromat in Blue Hill I could use and that they tried to be very conservative with their water. I’ll admit it, I was a bit miffed. But it ended up just being easier to use three washing machines at once and to have a dryer to use instead of a line to hang my clothes, sheets, and towels on. After the hour or so I spent doing laundry, I ran by the grocery store and then headed back to my apartment to clean and cook a bit and then to watch a movie and read some.

I have to say, I’m rather excited about church tomorrow. I’m desperately hoping to meet people.

5 comments:

  1. OK, I am getting a little upset with these folks that they are not sharing their laundry facilities with you and not even giving you a hot shower!!!! You can't live everyday taking cold showers as hard as you work... especially for what they are paying you!!!! You are working SO hard for them. I can't even imagine having an employee like you... for almost nothing to top it off! I'm sorry, it's none of my business, but I am just so worried about you! I don't want you to suffer one bit while you are away! Please don't be angry with me.. I just love you and care about you so much and DO NOT want you to be taken advantage of!!! I will stop my ranting now and won't do it again, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SECOND THE MOTION JENNA!! geeeeeeeez. Also, I'm excited about the potential french friend. You know how I feel about the French :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am there with the previous comments. How is the hot water situation? With cooler weather coming for you in the not too distant future, the water will only get colder. This matter needs their attention immediately. I do hope that church provided you with the opportunity to meet some new people and socialize. I continue to enjoy your writing so much. It makes me feel as though I am there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it's so nice to read these comments. Sometimes I feel like I'm just complaining and am not appreciating what I do have. I have to say, though, I think one of the reasons I've been so tired and slightly discouraged is that I come in hot, filthy, and exhausted after a long day at work, and then, just to get clean, I have to put forth even more of an effort, heating water on the stove, rinsing off with water so icy it makes my skin ache.
    I was irritated by their refusal to let me use their washing machine, but I don't mind too much. I did think about asking them to pay me about ten dollars more, though, since that's about how much it costs to do laundry...
    Still no hot water... They swear that they should have it up and running any day now, but they've been saying that for sixteen days now.
    This has been an interesting experience on the whole. I don't hate it, but I don't exactly love it either...

    ReplyDelete
  5. PhD in lit. Research and write. It's what you love to do. Just my fatherly advice and chance to get my dig in. :-). Love you girl

    ReplyDelete