Saturday, August 21, 2010

20 August 2010

I stayed at the orchard today while Tim and Leslie went to Deer Isle for the Stonington market. Over the course of the day, I watered the onions and saplings, and then I sorted and packed four hundred pounds of peaches. Yep. Twenty-five crates. Two hundred quarts. Four hundred pounds. A lot of peaches.

I got the late afternoon off from work and went out to Naskeag Point. The tide was low when I first got there, and I walked across several hundred yards of the exposed sea floor to stand at what felt like the edge of the world, the stout wind whipping my hair from its moorings, tugging and beckoning for me to ride its wild drafts. I always harbor this strange feeling when I’m walking across the seabed at low tide that I’m crossing the terrain of an alien, foreign world. I almost hesitate to take a step, because the crunch of the littered, empty shells beneath my feet makes me feel as if I were crossing a burial ground. It’s the same feeling that plagued me as I went through the catacombs beneath the Parisian streets. As if it were a sacred shrine to those long dead, and I was not meant to pass there.

1 comment:

  1. Oh baby, your thought processes always amaze me! Where your mind goes, mine rarely visits :-) I am so glad you have been given this opportunity to see a beautiful part of this country! Enjoy and let your mind go where it desires!

    ReplyDelete